Wednesday 4 November 2009

My Welsh Icons: Susie Wild, author.

One of Parthian Book’s Bright Young Things, Susie Wild's debut collection of short stories The Art of Contraception will be out in 2010.

She has two MAs because she is greedy – one in Journalism from Goldsmith’s College (2001) and another in Creative Writing from Swansea University (2008). Her stories have featured on Welsh literature site The Raconteur (www.theraconteur.co.uk) and in the inaugural Parthian anthology of new writers Under 30, Nu: fiction & stuff (www.nuwriting.co.uk).

The former editor of Swansea’s art magazine Platform (2004 – 2008), Susie has written about music, literature, youth issues and the arts for all manner of publications in Wales (Planet, New Welsh Review, BBC Wales, Red Handed, The Raconteur, Buzz, The Western Mail, The Evening Post, The Big Issue, etc.) and beyond (Mslexia, Clash Magazine, The Guardian, TheSite.org, Artrocker, etc.). She performs her poetry and fiction all over the place, is a regular at spoken word night The Crunch in Swansea and has appeared at Hay Festival, The Big Read (Newport), and Swn Festival.
Keep up-to-date with her news and events here: www.myspace.com/soozerama.

My Welsh Place:

Like so much of the planet, there is still so much I have left to discover, but I’d have to go for Dylan Thomas’ playground – Laugharne. Specifically
Laugharne during the Laugharne Weekend. A boozy literary festival overflowing with friends, writers and musicians and a scheduling that involves pint breaks. A poet’s heaven. Patti Smith has played there, as has The Kinks’ Ray Davies and a host of new Welsh talent brought together by Richard James (ex- Gorky's). I also have soft spots for the new Swansea Central Library (complete with sea views), Elysium Artspace in Swansea, Hay-on-Wye, The Vulcan pub in Cardiff, The Chattery Restaurant in Swansea, and various Cardiff watering holes (Milgi, Chapter, Clwb) and Gower paddling spots. I’m quite excited about the opening of the Cardiff Arts Institute too, so I’m sure I’ll be hanging out there a fair bit.


My Welsh sound:

There are so many good musicians coming out of Wales I refuse to pick just one. I have reason – I am the news editor for Kruger Magazine (www.krugerlabs.com), which began in
Cardiff six years ago but is now national and ace, obviously and I also write about music for a host of people including Clash Magazine, Buzz and Artrocker. Festivals like Huw Stephens’ Swn in Cardiff always remind me how much homegrown talent there is here. Not just the bigger names like the fantastic Super Furry Animals, Richard James and Euros Childs, but also the energy of Los Campesinos!, Victorian English Gentlemen Club, Right Hand Left Hand and Race Horses. Cate Le Bon is amazing, as is Y Pencadlys. I was blown away by Threatmantics’ new line up, Barefoot Dance of the Sea (Beth and Bec for The Hot Puppies) and the country stylings of Sweet Baboo are so adorable, I could squeeze him. I am desperate to see Islet play live (super group with former members of the excellent Attack+Defend). Back in Swansea No Thee No Ess, The Death of Chapman Baxter and Dufraine are all top dollar.


My Welsh taste:

It’s Brains you want. And Welsh Rarebit. I like old men’s pubs and real ale. Perhaps I’m old before my time, or maybe just bitter. I tend to do a lot of my writing in pubs like The Brunswick and The Queens in
Swansea . I like a proper local and a pint of real ale; not flat lager, youth club bright lighting and TV screens. I also write, eat and watch American bands play The Chattery when I’m flush enough. I love their noisy industrial coffee machine rescued from a bomb shelter... and all the hot American boys in bands.


My Wales is...

Home.


When I'm away from Wales, I miss...

I’m a good cook, friends visit and places stay alive in your imagination, but the thing I always miss is the accent. I loves it. I can’t be away from the sea for too long either, but any coastline will fix that longing, no matter how ugly


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
| Home | Main Site | About Us | Contact Us | Follow us on Twitter | Join us on Facebook |